Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Happy Tourist and Her Few Nice Things.


It’s been almost three weeks since I’ve been in Europe and I can honestly say that it feels like I left San Diego a lifetime ago. Not for bad reasons, but I’ve just been doing SO many things that one day feels like 5.  So really it’s like I’ve been here for about 3 months instead of 3 weeks! And today is the beginning of a new country and a new adventure. Maria and I are currently on a train to Prague (but by the time I get internet to post this, we’ll already be checked into our hotel). I’m most curious about this country. It’s the most foreign to me and sounds the most beautiful. It will be interesting to see what Prague is really like, how we get around without knowing a single word of their language, and what cultural norms we should practice while we’re here.

Speaking of cultural norms….

I’ve tried really really hard to be a good American tourist. The last thing I want is to be remembered by the shop owner or the restaurant staff as the “dumb American”. I’ve read up on etiquette and do my best to respect each culture I come into. But…I’ve found that sometimes I’m just too excited to “play it cool”.  I’m about to go off on another one of my tangents again…ready? Happiness brings me greater happiness.  It grows exponentially. And the same with negativity. Once you’re in a bad state of mind, coming out of it is nearly impossible. In my 25 years of life, I’ve been through good times and bad. There were definitely moments, looking back, when I genuinely was allowed to be sad. It’s ok to give yourself permission to go through those tough times. Life is hard. Embrace the struggles. Grieve the losses. Journey through the sadness. And then find your way back to a happy place. But sometimes it’s really hard to find your way back to that happiness even when the rough times are over. We get comfortable feeling bad for ourselves. I know I do. And then it hit me….happiness is really really fun. Not fake happiness, because if you are going through something right now, the last thing you should do it force yourself to be happy and ignore the real feelings. But authentic happiness is incredibly enjoyable. And how do I find my happiness? In the little things, that’s how. Cute bicycles with a basket of flowers. The smell of freshly baked cookies. A hardy, make your eyes water, laugh with a friend. The movement of the clouds. The energy of the Metro system. Getting the perfect shot with my camera. Good music. Trees. Freshly roasted coffee.  These are a few of my favorite things (I just did a Sound of Music tour, I had to throw that last part in!). That is my happiness and no matter how silly I look appreciating the little things, I’m going to continue to do it. Here’s where I come back to where I left you for that tangent. Cultural norms or no cultural norms, I’m going to continue to do the things that make me happy (within reason). I will probably look more like a tourist and a dumb America, but I’m ok with that. I want to stop, literally stop, and smell the roses. I want to take 100 pictures. I want to sing as I’m walking down the street or standing on the Metro. If I want to skip, I’ll skip. If I want to dance, I’ll dance. If I want to make random comments about how much I love everything, I’ll keep talking to myself even if no one is listening. I’m going to be considerate of others and difference cultural norms, but no matter how silly, dumb, or random I look, I will continue to be a happy tourist and a happy person. What makes you happy? What can you do that brings you back to a happy place after tough roads?

This happy tourist has been traveling with nothing but a carry-on suitcase and a duffle bag. 5 weeks in two bags small-ish…it can be done! Before leaving for Europe I was completely and utterly disgusted with the amount of clutter in my life. I distinctly remember sitting in my room looking at my over-stuffed closet and dresser and being overwhelmed by the “stuff” in my life. I made a promise to myself that after returning to San Diego from my post-Europe holiday travels home, I would completely ransack my apartment and give away everything I don’t need. I’m even more convinced this is what I need/want to do when I return. I have but 5 outfits to choose from on this trip. My shoe selection is extremely limited. I have one heavy jacket I wear everyday to keep the cold Europe frost from touching my skin. And you know what…I love it. Life is simple this way. I don’t intend to go over-board with this process. I’m not suddenly going to sell all my worldly possessions and walk around in a potato sack, but I do want to downsize.  Nice, business attire is needed for work and comfortable clothing is needed for play. Photos and meaningful decorations are needed in my apartment to make it feel like home. But let’s be serious, no one needs 19 pairs of jeans, 32 dressed, 74 shirts, or whatever is actually in my closet!

So this happy tourist is going to continue to stop and smell the roses in one of the 5 outfits I brought along with me. And when I return, I intent to keep singing, keep smiling, keep wandering off the beaten path…just with a few less things to weigh me down. 


On the train headed to Salzburg!

Christmas Market!

While waiting for the Sound of Music Tour to start, Maria and I decided to do a photoshoot on this tree. 

So cheesy and I loved every second of it!

They served beer on the tour bus...probably for all the boyfriends and husbands that were forced to go for their significant other. I took advantage of it and bought one for 1.5 Euro!  I mean, how often are you allowed to drink on a bus!?

"I am 16 going on 17..."

We saw BEAUTIFUL scenery!

It was dark by the time we got to the fountain in the movie, but I still wanted to take a picture with it!

I loved the tour! The movie is sooo good and all of it reminded me of our production of The Sound of Music in High School. I was Liesel (the oldest daughter). I miss those days of singing and dancing in musical theater. Hmmm...I may have just been inspired to get back into it. Well, maybe when my MBA program is over I'll audition for something again...

No comments:

Post a Comment