Monday, December 12, 2011

London

I officially love London. I'm not sure if my love for London surpasses my love for Paris, but I really do love this place.

For one, I never thought I'd appreciate the English language so much. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I heard it in full force again. Sure, everyone here speaks in an accent, but it's English and it's familiar and it's wonderful to the ears of someone who's heard Portuguese, French, Italian, Catalan, Spanish, and German for the last five weeks.

Second, it looks like a Harry Potter movie. The streets are full of red double-decker buses, we sat in on a Parliament meeting, and attended a service at the Westminster Abbey. It was a wonderful, Harry Potter inspired day.

I'm feeling renewed from the history of this place and the familiarity of it as well. It's a great feeling.

Just as a recap, we toured the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels (...beautiful and disgusting all at the same time. One of those crowns could have fed an entire nation. Ugh!). Then we attended a service at the Westminster Abbey. After that, we sat in on a Parliament meeting (seriously fascinating).  And finally, we follow a Rick Steve's self-guided walking tour to Trafalgar Square, dinner, and a Pub where we met some locals who taught us some British slang. Great day.  Can't wait to see what's in store tomorrow!

Sorry for the shortage in photos today. I have more, but at this point, the internet is much too slow to wait for the rest to upload to my blog. I promise more for the next one.

Big Ben

A true London Dinner: Fish, Chips, and Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment