Saturday, December 3, 2011

Meet Vienna

Maria and I made it to Vienna today. I was going to blog last night about our day-trip to Florence, but was absolutely exhausted when we got back to our hotel and just couldn’t turn my brain on to do any writing. Florence was amazing. I really liked Rome, but Florence kicks Rome’s butt! As you’ve read, I love cities, but Rome was almost too big for me. The streets don’t make any sense, apparently Rome doesn’t believe in street signs, everyone drives way too fast, the Metro is always packed…I loved it and hated it all at the same time. I got some great energy from the city, yet was left incredibly drained from it at the end of the day. Florence was such a nice break. It looks like it’s straight up out of a postcard. We hiked…yes, practically hiked, up the duomo (http://www.duomofirenze.it/index-eng.htm), saw some great art, shopped, and took in the beautiful scenery Florence had to offer. I thought I had seen cuteness to the max…but I was wrong. So so wrong.

Meet Vienna.

Vienna has to be the custest little town ever. We got in this afternoon, bundled up and headed to two Christmas markets. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a place that seems to love Christmas as much as I do. I felt like I became part of a snow-globe. We shopped, ate delicious things we couldn’t pronounce, and drank hot keiser punsch. I was giddy with joy as the Christmas spirit filled my heart. I was feeling a little sad that I’m missing all the traditions of the Christmas season…decorating my apartment, baking, seeing all the decorations in shops, driving around to see lights…but after tonight I feel like I’m getting a healthy dose of Christmas cheer! Tonight Maria and I are staying in. We’re a little far out from the city at since it’s 34 degrees ferinheight , we opted to cozy up in our ADORABLE Vienna apartment (yes, apartment), answer some emails while listen to Christmas music, do some laundry, then watch a movie. I think it’s a good thing to have nights on trips when you live a normal life. It can get exhausting going 24/7 and seeing new and exciting things every single day. You need to give your mind, your spirit, and your body a break. Tonight it that night.

I’m about to make some tea and curl up in bed. Good night world! And Merry Christmas!

Side note: Maria and I made a list of all the “interesting” things we noticed about Rome. I thought I’d share.

Ambulance sound – it’s the most annoying ambulance we’ve heard in any of the countries we’ve visited
Everything is on a large scale- buildings, fountains, etc
Nothing's on a grid, no street signs, no directional signs
Cars/motorcycles really do run you over
SO much passion – from food to loction, people here love to love
They really do talk with the "da dum da dum da dum"
Nothing modern-nothing in the last 100 years
Toilets-men and women wash their hands together, no toilet seats
FOOD is amazing!
They say prego for everything!
Cars will drive down ANY street
The men really do love blondes :)

So I don’t have anymore “renewal” insight this time around…I’m just really really loving the Christmas spirit and that’s renewal enough for my heart!

Enjoy the photos.



Florence

Getting to the top of the Duomo!

View from the top!

Florence at night - open air markets!

I bargained for these fake glasses. The sticker price was 15 Euros. I got them for 5 Euros. :) 

VIENNA! It's about 34 degrees fahrenheit today. 

Cutest Christmas market ever!

We are staying in a cute 2 bedroom apartment and it's cheaper than any hostel we've stayed in thus far. I'm loving Vienna even more! And I'm thankful for the towel warming racks to dry my clothes (dryers don't really exist in Europe). 

 Oh, and Europe ate my shoes. I've worn these boots almost everyday for 3 weeks...on cobblestone streets. I think I need to go shopping tomorrow. Don't you?






1 comment:

  1. Oh Lauren! Poor boots I was wondering if you found any new ones yet. Im glad your enjoying pics look amazing. (PS I wish I could comment on these pics-- the glasses adorable, the dryer sit just liek paris!)

    ReplyDelete