Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ciao Portugal!


Final thoughts about Portugal…

It's 6:26am in Portugal (10:26pm in California) and I'm sitting in the airport waiting to board my plane to Paris. I’ve had a great time in this little country and wanted to leave with a few closing thoughts. 

Simplicity.

Portugal is all about simplicity, which is something I strive for in my life. I don’t always succeed, because it’s so easy to think I need one more piece of clothing, one more electronic device, one more thing. But I don’t. And the Portuguese have figured this out. They cherish three F’s…Fado, Fatima and Futbol.  I think they should add two more F’s to that list…food and family, because I can definitely see how those two things, along with the official “three F’s of Portugal” are by far the most important things to these people. Everything else comes secondary.

Fado: Fate. Just accept life and move on. No need to dwell in the past or get angry when life doesn't go your way. I don’t necessarily believe in fate, but I do believe in letting go and moving on. This has been a great lesson for me while I’ve been here.

At the Fado performance we attended.

Fatima: the place where the Virgin Mary performed three miracles. Faith. It’s part of their history and culture. Roots are strong here. I love listening to our hosts about their great, great, great, great someone who did something. Everyone here knows who they are and where they came from. They take great pride in their faith and culture. I love it.

 One of the most beautiful stain glass windows from the Monastery 

Futbol: well, soccer. It’s everything to the Portuguese. And not like the Charges are to San Diego. The Portuguese eat, breathe, and live for Futbol.  Like I said before., life if simple here. They don’t spend time watching hours of reality TV. The Portuguese work, cook, and watch futbol. It's part of history and culture. It's more than just a game. 

Food: Oh the food! It’s quite delicious, but again….life if simple here. There’s no “have it your way” here. What’s on the menu is on the menu. No, “can I have a side of that” or, “can I get this without that”, or “I just want this and not that other stuff that comes with it”. You typically have 3 choices…pork, beef, or fish. It always comes with a side of French fries, boiled potatoes, and rice. Their salads are simple: greens, tomato, onion, and a vinegar/olive oil dressing. Oh, and fresh bread is always served on the table. It took a while to get used to this, but now I’m learning to appreciate the simplicity of the menus. When you think about it, meat here isn’t mass produced like in the states. It’s raised on a local farm. The farmer took great care to butcher and sell the best cuts of meat. The restaurant spent time that morning picking out the best of the best. When you go to their restaurant, you don’t ask for the cut of meant you want. You ask for a steak. And that steak is the best darn thing the restaurant has to offer you that day. And you accept. Ok, so I haven’t actually had any of the meat here (well, a little secret for you...I ate chicken for the first time in a year last night. I needed protein. It was delicious, and I ate it in good conscious because it went from farm to table)…but the fish is delicious and it’s the same concept. Cod fish is the only thing served. It’s made the same way. It’s simple. And it’s good.

Before and After my authentic fish dinner!

Family: Your family name is your connection to Portugal. Everyone here has 6-8 names. They are family names, they are meaningful names. They weren’t found out of a name book. There is so much pride in what part of Portugal you’re from and your family name. It makes me wish I knew more my family roots to Portugal. I know I’m part Portuguese on my dad’s side, but other than  the name “Fontes”, I know nothing more about my Portuguese roots.

So there you have it. Fado, Fatima, Futbol, Food, and Family. Politics, the economy, and the goings-on in the media aren’t important here. It’s so refreshing to be around a deep, meaningful, yet simple culture…away from the hustle and bustle of a big city, away from the pressure of needing to look a certain way to fit in, away from anything but what’s important. 

Ciao Portugal! Until we meet again...


I've been posting blogs left and right in the last 2 days because there's been so much to share. Check my later posts in case you missed one!

1 comment: