Sunday, November 27, 2011

Starbucks in Spain.

I said goodbye to my PLNU friends and arrived in Spain on Friday to start my new adventure with Maria. I’ve been away from San Diego for about two weeks and this is the first time I’ve gotten a little homesick. I feel a little silly admitting that I’m homesick when I’ve only been gone for two weeks. I have friends who have given up the comfort of their own lives to serve others for months and years at a time in third world countries…they deserve the right to feel homesick. Not me. And yet, I do. It’s not too bad, but I think I feel this way because Spain reminds me so much of San Diego. Maybe it’s the more modern architecture, the increase in number of American’s I’ve run into, the familiar Spanish language, the beaches, caving into buying coffee at Starbucks yesterday, having a close friend from San Diego with me…it looks like home here. And yet it’s not. I don’t go home to my apartment at night. I’m not in the comfort of my own home. I haven’t cooked for myself in so long. I’m still living out of a suitcase and sleeping a twin bed surrounded by white popcorn walls. But…I have a great friend with me to share in all the joys and stresses of traveling and for that, I’m thankful. What’s renewal without being stretched on all levels? I think the biggest lesson out of this time of homesickness is that I appreciate home so much more. My friends are like family. And my family-family is quite awesome. I lucked out. And San Diego…well it’s pretty cool too. ;)

(PS-I’m also thankful that Maria did so much research to find the best places in Barcelona to see, because I honestly did little to no research. And I’m not just saying that because she’s siting right next to me. :) I wouldn’t have done half the things we did yesterday without her here.)

All this to say, I’m having the most amazing time discovering new places. Maria and I took some great tours Saturday and Sunday. We saw the most amazing buildings by Gaudi and ate at some delicious restaurants. I love traveling with a foodie!!! And all the reasons why I’m a little homesick are good things. I’m around the familiar. And today we’re going to see the most familiar thing of all…the BEACH! I can’t wait to dip my toe into the Mediterranean Sea.

Here are a few pictures of the start of our exploration and adventure in Spain!


This outdoor market was so cool. Although it made me want to be a vegetarian even more.

On the tour bus...it was a little windy.

All of Barcelona behind us!

We had dinner at El 4Gats. So good!!!

Day 2 in Spain: visiting the Sagrada Familia

Park built be Gaudi. I <3 Parks. 

Dinner at the most delicious vegetarian restaurant. Thanks for eating no-meat with me, Maria!

 Starbucks in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment