Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Day in Lisbon


Today is a cozy, relaxing day.  It’s mostly overcast here and has been raining throughout the day. With the busy day we had yesterday, I’m thankful for this free day to sleep in, do homework, and just relax. 

Yesterday was go, go, go. The professors and our Portugal hosts had a great day of sightseeing in Lisbon planned for us. I’ll let the pictures tell the story of our day.

Stop One: The Thieves Fair
This was a great place to observe the Portuguese culture. I split off with the girls and we did a little shopping. I loved looking at the antiques and hidden gems!


Stop Two: The oldest church in Lisbon


Stop Three: Lunch in Lisbon
We went into downtown Lisbon to have lunch. I had the most amazing seafood paella!


Stop Four: Jewish Church
The story behind this church is sobering and moving. In the 15th century, the Catholic Crusaders locked thousands of Jews in this church and set it on fire.  Everyone was killed.  As a remembrance to those who were lost, only a portion of the church was restored and the rest was left, ashy, burn, and blackened to remind everyone of the horrible act that happened there. 


Stop Five: Pastries from at 200 year old bakery!
Yum...that's all I have to say. 


 Stop Six: Dinner at a 175 year old restaurant
More delicious food!


Stop Seven: Evening Outing
A group of us stayed out in Lisbon to experience the night life. We were ready to go home by 11:30pm. Apparently people don't even start going out until about 2am, so we were "too early" for anything.


After spending an entire day immersed in Portuguese culture, I’ve come to wish that I knew more about my heritage.  The Portuguese are full of pride for their small country.  There is so much history and so many stories built in each marble slab and each cobblestone street.  I can’t say that about the U.S. I absolutely love San Diego, but there’s something that moves me here. I feel part of something bigger….part of great novel or a great love story. I can’t really explain it, but I love it. 

1 comment:

  1. I am swooning over the market pictures, OMMMGGG what a dream of mementos:)

    ReplyDelete