Tuesday, November 29, 2011

When in Rome...

We landed in Rome today. From the moment we landed in this country my heart has been happy. I’ll be honest…I didn’t love Barcelona. It’s not that I didn’t like it. I just didn’t love it. It made me feel homesick, because it was too similar to San Diego. The beach was amazing, the Gaudi architecture was “wow”, the food was yummy, but there was something about the lack of “old, romantic, Europe” that kept my heart form falling in love with it like I did Portugal and France. But now I’m in Rome. And I have certainly fallen in love.

Maria and I had some things to take care of as soon as we landed. Check-in to our hostel, make it to the Vatican by 3pm (per our museum pass instructions), and then pick-up tickets for the Pope blessing before 6:45pm. What a crazy few hours! We were on this metro and that metro and this street and that street. We got lost, we almost got ran over (um…people weren’t kidding when they warned me that Italian drivers literally stop for no one). It was nuts! But we figured it out, saw all the beautiful artwork at the Vatican, and then finally settled on taking an evening stroll to some major monuments, as recommended by Rick Steves.

The evening stroll was more than I ever could have asked for. We saw the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Forum, and the Colosseum. We’ll be back to the Coliseum tomorrow for the real visit, but we wanted to see it all at night. And we walked to EVERYTHING! I’m not sure how far it all was, because we took a few detours here are there (ya, detours, that’s what I’ll call it, we weren’t lost at all), but it felt like a good solid walk. Good enough to deserve a home-made pasta dinner!

With each step I took tonight on our walk, I could more and more renewed and restored. Each Metro ride brought so much confidence back, just as I felt that first night in Paris. Have I mentioned how much I love the Metro? Weird, I know. But I love it. It’s smelly, it’s dirty, it’s filled with interesting characters, but I love every bit of it. You get to see the real part…the real people…of the city when you ride the Metro. The Metro is the heartbeat of every large city. Underneath the houses and the restaurants is the ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum of the wheels turning – keeping the movement of the city going. It’s somewhat overwhelming at times, but when you finally push through the people and are holding on to that germ-filled pole as you ride to your next location, it’s a great feeling.

And the stairs…I feel so alive walking up the old steps of Rome. Maybe it’s because I had knee surgery just a few months ago and spent the evenings crying myself to sleep because I couldn’t walk up stairs for a much longer time than was expected so I really really REALLY appreciate the ability to walk up and down them, but for whatever reason, stairs bring me joy. And thinking that over 1,000 years ago Roman soldiers walked up those same steps is just a little cool too…just a little. ;)

Sigh! This is such a random blog tonight because I’m just so filled with joy and exhaustion all at the same time. I’m happy to be in a city of love, of romance, of history, of something BIG. Tomorrow is a big day (climbing the St. Peter’s Square cupola, Pope Blessing, Colosseum  Forum and other sights after that, and then we’re meeting up with Maria’s friend who lives here and is going to show us around) and it’s 11pm here, so I’m off to bed. Enjoy the pictures!


Vatican
                     

Our evening stroll lead us to the Spanish Steps...

The Trevi Fountain

The Pantheon

And finally the Colosseum 






No comments:

Post a Comment